Howard Sharp QC was Her Majesty’s Solicitor General for Jersey from 8th March 2010 until 1st July 2015. He is listed in Who’s Who and has spoken at the World Bank in Washington DC and the United Nations in Vienna.
Since moving into private practice, Howard has a diverse contentious advice and litigation based legal practice. Howard has acted for governments, financial services businesses, global businesses and high-net worth individuals. Examples of Howard’s case work include:
- Commercial and Trust litigation. Howard has acted in high value contract dispute claims, shareholder disputes and trust litigation involving momentous decisions, allegations of sham trusts, applications to remove the trustees and applications to set aside Jersey Trusts and Foundations on the basis of mistake re tax planning. Howard has also acted in professional negligence cases.
- Fraud and Asset tracing. Howard is frequently instructed in respect of Freezing Orders and Norwich Pharamacal Orders. He has represented trustees when the Jersey situated trust assets were the subject of a restraint order with a view to potential confiscation in respect of criminal conduct said to have occurred in the USA and South Africa. Howard continues to be involved in the Windward Trading Limited case – featuring the confiscation of the proceeds of high level corrupt activities in Africa.
- Judicial review/Public Law. Howard has advised the Law Officers Department in both Jersey and Guernsey, the Jersey Financial Services Commission and the Jersey Competition Regulatory Authority since moving into private practice. Howard was lead Counsel in the Privy Council hearing in Volaw v Comptroller of Income Tax – the leading case on Article 6 privilege against self incrimination rights in the context of a Tax Information Exchange Request case.
- Criminal Law Howard has great experience as a trial advocate and has been involved in many of Jersey’s most difficult court cases in recent times. He has prosecuted murder, manslaughter and other serious criminal trials. In 2013, Howard obtained a £198 million confiscation order against an international drug trafficker. He led the Jersey Law Officers’ Department during the Moneyval assessment that took place in Jersey during January 2015.
- International Fraud, Bribery and Corruption
- TIEAs, CRS, FATCA
“Howard Sharp QC is an internationally renowned practitioner with legal practice and advocacy experience that we at Vannin can really utilise. Our team is differentiated by its top tier experience and skills and Mr Sharp QC brings yet another layer of experience, this time at a board level”
“I wish to warmly thank the Solicitor General Mr Howard Sharp QC for representing me in this case of considerable public importance. His advice has been consistent and of the highest quality. He has once again showed that the Ministers, the States and public of Jersey are extremely well served by him.”
Minister for Treasury and Resources, Jersey