Howard Sharp QC was Her Majesty’s Solicitor General for Jersey from 8th March 2010 until 1st July 2015. He is listed in Who’s Who and has spoken at the World Bank in Washington DC and the United Nations in Vienna.
Since moving into private practice, Howard has a diverse contentious advice and litigation based legal practice. Howard has acted for governments, financial services businesses, global businesses and high-net worth individuals. Examples of Howard’s case work include:
- Being instructed to appear in both the Privy Council and Jersey’s Court of Appeal in respect of litigation concerning Jersey’s Tax Information Exchange Agreements. Howard advises both government and private clients in respect of TIEAs, the Common Reporting Standard and other issues relating to the exchange of information.
- Successfully defending a £100 million contract dispute relating to the development of the waterfront in St Helier, Jersey. Howard regularly advises on commercial disputes, including the interpretation of contracts.
- As Solicitor General, Howard often represented the charitable interests in trust litigation and has advised trustees on regulatory and restructuring issues in the context of litigation since moving to private practice.
- The confiscation of £3.6 million of assets that constituted the proceeds of corruption linked to high level public officials in Kenya during era of President Moi. Howard has extensive experience in tracing the proceeds of crime. In 2015, the Privy Council upheld a confiscation order obtained by Howard for £198 million, that involved the tracing of illicit assets worldwide.
- International Fraud, Bribery and Corruption
- TIEAs, CRS, FATCA
“Howard Sharp QC is an internationally renowned practitioner with legal practice and advocacy experience that we at Vannin can really utilise. Our team is differentiated by its top tier experience and skills and Mr Sharp QC brings yet another layer of experience, this time at a board level”
“I wish to warmly thank the Solicitor General Mr Howard Sharp QC for representing me in this case of considerable public importance. His advice has been consistent and of the highest quality. He has once again showed that the Ministers, the States and public of Jersey are extremely well served by him.”
Minister for Treasury and Resources, Jersey